Holiday Cottages in Charlestown
The harbour village of Charlestown was a Georgian 'new town', developed by local landowner Charles Rashleigh between 1790 and 1810 - hence its name. The village was once kept busy, like so many other Cornish seaside villages, boat making and pilchard fishing. Today, a small amount of St Austell's china clay is exported from Charlestown each year, but the village's main industry is tourism.
A pretty destination, Charlestown is a working harbour, backed by pretty little cottages, a handful of good eateries and a methodist chapel that was built in 1827. The chapel was used right up until the year 2000, when it closed its doors for the last time to the congregation. The building remains today however, as it is Grade II listed and forms a key part of Charlestown being labelled a World Heritage Site.
The Charlestown Shipwreck and Heritage Centre reflects upon life in the village, its past and local shipwrecks. The harbour is the very heart of Charlestown, which is normally found to have one or two tall ships docked. The harbour and the village of Charlestown have been used many times as filming locations, most recently as one of the more recognisable locations used in BBC's Poldark series featuring Aidan Turner.
Charlestown sits approximately 1.5 miles from St Austell on Cornwall's South coast.