Holiday Cottages in Portreath

The civil parish village and fishing port of Portreath is nestled in a stream valley between high cliffs. It has a secluded safe beach which is popular with families and surfers alike.

Portreath which means ‘sandy cove’ was once a busy port dealing with coal and copper. The copper ore that was mined in Gwennap was shipped to Swansea for smelting, and the ships would return from Wales full of coal used to fuel the mines’ steam engines. In 1840 there was an impressive 100,000 tons of ore being shipped out every year. Tin streaming in the valley was recorded from 1602; the original quay was built in 1713 near Amy's Point, but sadly it was destroyed by the sea before 1749. Look out to the south of the harbour where the remains of a cable-worked incline used by the Hayle Railway during the 19th and 20th centuries to descend to the quayside.

Today the village of Portreath has several shops including beach shops, a take away, several pubs and cafes, as well as a small amusements arcade.

Set high on the cliffs above the south cove is Battery House. Cannons were kept here during the French wars in case of attack on the harbour. The first harbour of Portreath was built in this south cove in 1713, but it was destroyed by rough seas by 1749. The harbour had been constructed by local miners and was not strong enough to withstand the force of the seas.

Portreath is ideal for those who enjoy walking; the views from the coastal path atop the cliffs are spectacular and seals can often be seen frolicking in the coves. There are also several cycle paths in the area; many of the old tramways have been converted into cycle paths and it is possible to cycle from Portreath down to Devoran on the south coast, without leaving these paths (approximately 10 miles).

View our guide to Portreath in West Cornwall

Your search returned 100 cottages.

View on map
View on map