Holiday Cottages in Mullion
Mullion is the largest village on the Lizard. It has shops, cafes and restaurants, and art galleries. There is also a golf course nearby.
The church of St Mallenus in the centre of the village is renowned for its oak benches, the ends of which are decorated with carvings of various biblical scenes, including Jonah and the whale.
Mullion Cove and its pretty working harbour are now protected by the National Trust. The cove is protected against raging winter storms by two stout sea walls. Pilchard fishing was the main industry in Mullion in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, and the old pilchard cellar can still be seen today.
Between 1867 and 1909, there was a lifeboat station at Mullion Cove, necessitated by the many shipwrecks below the cliffs here - there were nine wrecks in 6 years at one point.
Further inland stand the remains of Wheal Unity, a copper mine which was in operation from the early eighteenth century right up until 1919. A large boulder from Wheal Unity is now displayed at the Natural History Museum in London.
There are two beaches nearby; Poldhu Cove and Polurrian. Guglielmo Marconi conducted his famous experiment in trans-Atlantic radio communications from above Poldhu Cove in December 1901.