Holiday Cottages in Wadebridge
Wadebridge is not only one of the county's main market towns; it is also the starting point of the The Camel Trail, a level cycle trail ideal for family days out.
The River Camel, with its fifteenth century bridge, runs alongside the town. Roads in the area used to be of very poor quality and as such the river was used to transport goods in and out of the town. Wadebridge got its name after the bridge was built across the river in 1460. A painting of the building of the bridge is housed in the town hall, which was opened in 1888 by Sir Paul Molesworth.
The Camel Trail runs along the old railway route from Wadebridge to Padstow. The railway line was opened in 1834 and was the first line in West Britain to carry passengers. The line was closed for all passenger services in 1967. The Camel Trail is popular with both cyclists and walkers as no vehicles are permitted on the trail, making it very safe. The trail has two routes; one from Wadebridge to Padstow, and the other from Wadebridge to Bodmin. Bikes can be hired from shops at the trail's starting point. The name 'Camel' comes from the Cornish word for crooked, Cam; the route which the River Camel follows is crooked, hence its name.
Each August, the Wadebridge Folk Festival takes place in the town. This is the largest folk festival in Cornwall and includes performances by European and American artists, as well as local artists. Wadebridge also hosts the Royal Cornwall Show each June. This is one of the largest agricultural shows in the country. Competitions and shows are held throughout the three-day event.